Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, whisk the milk, oil, egg, orange zest and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pears, then egg whites.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 172 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 9, 2011
I used molasses instead of brown sugar, and it was super! Definitely add more of the spices, and an extra pear, than it calls for. Deeelicious!
Dec 29, 2008
Wow! These have alot of flavor for a low-fat muffin. I doubled the spices and added chopped pecans. I would definitely recommed trying the Spiced Pear Muffin recipe.