"The first time my son's fiancee tried this citrus parfait, she wanted the recipe. The next time, she wanted the leftovers," writes Deborah Greenwood of Elmer, New Jersey.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 3 whole crackers), divided
- In a small bowl, combine gelatin and orange juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Heat milk until boiling; add to gelatin. Cool slightly. Transfer to a blender; cover and process for 30 seconds or until blended. Add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and orange zest; process until blended.
- Drain oranges, reserving juice; set oranges aside. Add pineapple and reserved juice to gelatin mixture; process until smooth. Fold in whipped topping.
- Place half of the oranges in eight parfait glasses. Layer with half of the gelatin mixture and 3 tablespoons of cracker crumbs. Repeat layers of gelatin and crumbs; top with remaining oranges. Chill for 4 hours. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 277 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Orange Parfaits in Light & Tasty June/July 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.