"The first time my son's fiancee tried this citrus parfait, she wanted the recipe. The next time, she wanted the leftovers," writes Deborah Greenwood of Elmer, New Jersey.
Recommended: Cannoli Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 carton (8 ounces) reduced-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 12 crackers), divided
- In a bowl, combine gelatin and orange juice; let stand for 5 minutes. Heat milk until boiling. Add milk to gelatin. Let stand to cool slightly. Place in a blender; cover and process for 30 seconds or until blended. Add the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and orange peel; process until blended.
- Drain oranges; reserve juice. Add pineapple and reserved juice to gelatin mixture. Process until smooth; fold in whipped topping. Set aside 2 tablespoons crumbs for topping. Place half the oranges into eight parfait glasses. Layer with half the gelatin mixture and half the remaining crumbs. Repeat gelatin and crumb layers; top with remaining oranges. Chill for 4 hours. Top with reserved crumbs. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Orange Parfaits in Light & Tasty June/July 2004, p61