Orange Oatmeal Raisin Bread
For a delicious breakfast, spread slices of this hearty bread with marmalade. The orange juice, molasses and oats are a palate-pleasing combination.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
Makes3 loaves (10 slices each)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a large bowl pour 2 cups boiling water over oats and raisins. Add the orange juice, molasses, vegetable oil, and salt. Cool to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oat mixture and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a round or oval loaf. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make three to five shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Beat egg and milk; lightly brush over loaves.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 160 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Orange Oatmeal Raisin Bread in Best of Country Breads