Orange-Nut Sweet Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in orange juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add butter and orange zest; stir until butter is melted.
- Drain sweet potatoes; place in a serving dish. Add orange juice mixture and gently stir to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 312 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Jan 16, 2020
Delicious. My daughter and husband loved it. I made it gluten free but didn't add orange zest and it still tasted great.
Nov 25, 2009
This will be the third or fourth year I've made these potatoes for Thanksgiving.....now I consider them traditional!. My son in law said he doesn't normally care for sweet potatoes, but he likes these. They're very flavorable, and I find them more appealiong than the old way we used to do them with marshmallows on top. The orange juice adds a nice tanginess.