Orange Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in nuts and orange zest. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk, orange juice and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 223 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 297mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 25, 2017
Came out completely flat.
Jul 5, 2016
I don't know why but the bread fell in the middle! I have never had this before with a quick bread. Even with all the orange zest and orange juice, there was only a slight orange taste and there are too many nuts in it in mho. I probably will not try this again.
Jan 23, 2014
The loaves turned out with ease! Excellentdelowenstein
Jul 19, 2013
I cook extensively from Taste Of Home cookbooks and magazines and the cooking times are always very accurate; however, for this bread, I think the cooking times are way off. I checked the bread at 50 minutes and it was very overdone and dried out. I made the recipe again the following day, added a teaspoon of orange extract to increase the orange flavor which I felt was lacking, and checked the bread at 40 minutes. It was much improved, but could have come out even a few minutes earlier.
Dec 12, 2009
I tried this recipe and it quickly became a family favorite. Very easy to make. Excellent as a breakfast bread served with cream cheese.