Orange Nut Bread & Cream Cheese Spread
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes3 mini loaves (6 slices each) and 1 cup spread
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Fold in walnuts.
- Transfer to three greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, orange juice, confectioners' sugar and orange zest until well blended. Chill until serving. Serve with bread.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 213 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Mar 29, 2014
This was delicious! I didn't have any cream cheese so I didn't make the spread but will the next time I make this bread again...possibly with Easter dinner? Also wanted to say that I did not put in any nuts due to allergies and that didn't seem to change the texture, etc. at all.
Apr 10, 2013
I love this recipe and have made it often, always to rave reviews!
Apr 2, 2011
Used the exact ingredients but used the quick bread method (mix dry ingredients, melted butter and mixed w/ rest of liquid ingredients, stirred liquid into dry) and made into muffins. Delicious and the orange cream cheese really complimented the muffins! Next time though, I think I'll add an extra tablespoon of confectioner's sugar to the cream cheese.
Mar 4, 2011
Delicious. I used the juice and pulp from two oranges, and 1/4 tsp of orange peel in place of the extract. Then I baked it all in a 9x5 pan for 1 hour. Whole family loved it and I will definitely be making it again!
Jul 1, 2010
Made muffins with this recipe. Grandkids really like it. Didn't make the cream cheese spread. Very easy to make.
Feb 18, 2010
I really liked this bread but wasn't crazy about the cream cheese spread. I liked it best by itself. I didn't have orange extract so I used almond extract instead. I also used fresh squeezed orange juice, pulp included. It turned out yummy.
Feb 6, 2010
I made this recipe for my family, they loved it, I did use orange peel instead of the orange extract and it came out great. Will definately make it again
Feb 3, 2010
Feb 3, 2010
Oh my goodness...this is such a good recipe! I changed nothing except I made muffins out of them (didn't have the proper size loaf pans and muffins are easier to grab on the way out the door to work - I baked for 25 minutes and got 6 large muffins) and used pecans instead of walnuts due to personal preference. I wanted to make the cream cheese but found that my husband had been dipping into the package I bought for recipes, so I couldn't. I'll definitely try it next time, but even without the spread it was so moist and delicious! I imagine these will be gone soon - I'll just have to double next time!
Feb 2, 2010
I made these for my Grandson for breakfast this morning in my Mini Muffin tin and they came out great just as they were. I baked them for 15 minutes. I did not make the cream cheese spread to go on top and they were good without it. He even took a couple to school for recess.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.