Orange & Mint Snap Peas
This classic steaming method produces vibrant, crisp-tender vegetables. The sweet taste of snap peas is accented with orange, sugar and mint. Yum! Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- In a small saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until mixture is reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place peas in a steamer basket in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil. Cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a serving bowl. Add orange juice mixture and mint; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 117 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Mint and Orange Sugar Snap Peas in Healthy Cooking June/July 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.