A great side dish, Orange-Kissed Beets come from Bonnie Baumgardner of Sylva, North Carolina. "This is an original recipe I developed a few years ago," Bonnie explains. "It's one of my husband Ralph's favorites."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Strips of orange zest
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir orange juice, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, ginger, salt and pepper until thick. Add the beets and raisins; heat through. Garnish with orange zest.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 187 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 439mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Orange-kissed Beets in Taste of Home February/March 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.