A great side dish, Orange-Kissed Beets come from Bonnie Baumgardner of Sylva, North Carolina. "This is an original recipe I developed a few years ago," Bonnie explains. "It's one of my husband Ralph's favorites."
Recommended: 33 Bright Winter Salads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) sliced beets, drained
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Strips of orange zest
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir orange juice, brown sugar, butter, cornstarch, ginger, salt and pepper until thick. Add the beets and raisins; heat through. Garnish with orange zest. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Orange-kissed Beets in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p22