Orange Ham Kabobs
When I want to liven up leftover ham, I often make this main meal. It's a new and interesting way to prepare kabobs, and they're always a hit!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fully cooked ham, cut into 24 cubes (1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium oranges, peeled and cut into eighths
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- On eight metal skewers, alternately thread three ham cubes, two orange pieces, two green pepper pieces and two red pepper pieces. Place on a broiler pan with rack; broil 4-5 in. from the heat for 8 minutes, turning occasionally. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, tomato paste and ginger; mix well. Brush half over kabobs; broil 2-3 minutes. Turn kabobs and brush with the remaining sauce; broil 2 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 1248mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Originally published as Orange Ham Kabobs in Country Woman March/April 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.