This refreshing salad from Sue McKenney of Eagle, Michigan makes a wonderful light supper on a warm summer evening. Or leave out the chicken and serve it as a side dish to enhance any main course. It's sure to become a favorite at your house, too.
Recommended: 40 Lettuce Recipes You Can Get Excited About
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange sections
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Slice and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, orange juice, oil, parsley, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, celery, orange sections, onion and cranberries. Divide among individual serving plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with almonds. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Orange Chicken Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p42