Orange-Glazed Chicken with Rice
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour 5 min. + standing
- 1/2 cup currant jelly
- 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a saucepan, combine jelly, 1/4 cup water and concentrate. Cook and stir on low until jelly is melted. Combine cornstarch and remaining water; gradually stir into jelly mixture along with mustard and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook about 2 minutes more; remove from heat and set aside. Combine flour and salt; dredge chicken. In a skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Baste with sauce. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes longer or until juices run clear. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Add water; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, concentrate and salt. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand 5-7 minutes or until water is absorbed. Serve chicken over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 592 calories, 25g fat (8g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 441mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 27, 2013
I loved the sauce but don't see the point of cooking it so long. The next time I make this, I would make the sauce, cook strips of chicken in a frying pan, then pour the sauce over the chicken on a bed of rice. Add a touch of extra hot sauce for a powerful experience...
Mar 7, 2010
this is so easy and tastes great! it's a keeper.