Orange-Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
Ribbons of buttery carrots and parsnips play double duty as a vibrant visual and tasty side dish—a perfect way to round out a special Thanksgiving for two. —Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large parsnip
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet, whisk orange juice, sugar, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in butter until melted.
- Meanwhile, using a vegetable peeler, shave carrots and parsnip lengthwise into very thin strips (about 4 cups carrot strips and 2 cups parsnip strips).
- Add vegetables to skillet; stir to coat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 3 minutes.
- Uncover; cook 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and glazed, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with green onion.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 439 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 8g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange-glazed carrots and parsnips in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.