Orange-Glazed Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add apples and raisins; toss to coat. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Spoon apple mixture into crust. Dot with butter; sprinkle with orange juice. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Make cutouts in pastry with small cookie cutters if desired or cut slits in pastry. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients until blended. Spread over warm pie. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 455 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 281mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 23, 2012
I do make this over and over! It's my favorite apple pie and my husband says I finally made one as good as his Aunt Sue!
Nov 3, 2008
I am wondering if you omit the raisins what if anything should you use in their place? My daughters do not like raisins, dates or anything of that nature.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.