Orange-Glazed Acorn Squash
This savory side dish gets its lovely flavor from orange juice, orange zest and nutmeg. The smooth syrupy sauce is a great complement to the squash. I serve this on Christmas Eve, and everyone loves it! -Joyce Moynihan Lakeville, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 4 small acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until syrupy, stirring occasionally.
- Drain water from baking pan; turn squash cut side up. Pour about 2 tablespoons orange glaze into each squash half. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 247 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Glazed Acorn Squash in Taste of Home August/September 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.