Orange Fruit Baskets
Gathered here is a special presentation for fresh-sliced fruit salad-that goes fast! Our home economists began by carving containers from oranges, then added refreshing grapes, strawberries, blueberries and more inside. While breakfast is cooking, kids can help by preparing the fruit and filling the baskets.
Total TimePrep: 45 min.
- 10 large navel oranges
- 1 kiwifruit, peeled, sliced and quartered
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup halved green grapes
- 3/4 cup halved red grapes
- Additional red grapes and blueberries, optional
- Peel and section two oranges; set aside. Make baskets from remaining oranges. For handle, score a 1/2-in.-wide strip over the top of each orange. Score peel from the base of the handle on one side to the opposite side. Cut along scored lines with a paring knife and remove peel. Repeat on other side.
- Using a paring or grapefruit knife and spoon, scoop out pulp from under handle and inside of basket. Combine kiwi, blueberries, strawberries and grapes and reserved orange segments; spoon into baskets.
- If desired, make a flower on top of basket handle with grapes and blueberries. Quarter six grapes; place three quarters on top of each handle with a blueberry in the center.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 148 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 7g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Orange Fruit Baskets in Crafting Traditions September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.