My daughter made a citrusy version of apple fritters for 4-H demonstrations at our county and state fair. This crowd-size recipe yields 11 dozen but can easily be cut in half.—Debbie Johnson, Centertown, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 11 dozen
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 4 cups orange juice
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, biscuit mix, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk eggs, orange zest and orange juice until blended. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry about 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; cool slightly. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteMake half of the recipe at a time to fit into a mixing bowl.
Nutrition Facts1 fritter: 81 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Orange Fritters in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.