Orange-Flavored Beef and Potatoes
This stick-to-your-ribs dish has never failed me. While it's baking, I can prepare a simple vegetable side dish or salad to complete the meal.—Paula Pelis Marchesi, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 2 hours
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons white wine or additional water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- In a large bowl, combine the green onions, soy sauce, water, wine or additional water, sugar, 3 teaspoons oil, orange juice, zest, vinegar and ginger. Stir in tapioca and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Place the beef and potatoes in a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Pour tapioca mixture over the top. Cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 512mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Flavored Beef and Potatoes in Casserole Cookbook