- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add juices and peel; mix well (mixture may appear curdled). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour with baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour into two greased and floured 8-inch cake pans. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine coconut, sugar, juices and 3 tablespoons peel; mix well. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Fold in whipped cream. Spread between cake layers and over the top. Sprinkle with remaining orange peel. Chill for at least 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forOrange Dream Cake
"Good recipe, makes a small-sized cake with an appealing blend of flavors. The original recipe from the magazine calls for 8-inch layer pans, (not 9-inch), which probably makes a difference. I was careful not to overbake it. Will definitely make this again."
"I made this cake this wkd and I followed all the instruccions, on the top I put Lemon curd instead of this creamy top. The cake is dry when u eat it. Is not big enough to cut it in the middle to put this creamy top! instead of that I have a hole in the middle. I couldnt cut it. The cake is dry but the taste is good but I´m not going to make it again. If u dream with this cake better do another."
"Its amazing thaaaaaaaaaaanks dear"
"this cake is awesome. Moist and full of flavor. I used a lemon frosting and garnished with orange peel and it was great. I also used a little less sugar than stated. Highly recommended"