Orange Date Pound Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 pound chopped dates
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 2 teaspoons orange peel. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan; spread evenly. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, remaining sugar and orange peel, until blended; drizzle over warm cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 491 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 79g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 14, 2015
This cake is moist and tasty. The orange glaze adds a lot to the cake.
Aug 4, 2009
Oh, man, is this a good cake! Great texture and flavor. I added 1/2 C. orange juice to the batter to step up the orange flavor, and it turned out great. This cake was a hit after church at coffee hour!