Orange Date Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and orange zest.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 233 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 25, 2010
They were very moist, the grand kids really enjoyed them. next I will try the Orange Date Cupcakes.
Mar 9, 2009
I wasnt too sure about these the day I made them, but the next day they were great. They were not overly sweet which I liked. My whole familey liked them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.