- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in dates and orange zest.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and extract; beat until smooth. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Frost cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forOrange Date Cupcakes
"They were very moist, the grand kids really enjoyed them. next I will try the Orange Date Cupcakes."
"I wasnt too sure about these the day I made them, but the next day they were great. They were not overly sweet which I liked. My whole familey liked them."