You'll want to eat Pat Walter's delicate cake a sliver at a time…just to make the enjoyment last. “The splash of orange juice and chewy dates are what make this recipe extra-special,“ Pat adds from Pine Island, Minnesota.
Recommended: Our Best Coffee Cake Recipes Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, milk, oil, orange juice and zest; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in dates.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. In a bowl, combine the nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Orange-Date Coffee Cake in Country Woman March/April 2007, p35