Orange Date Cake
When it's time for dessert, this rich cake with orange syrup is a special treat for our farm family.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + cooling
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; combine 1 cup with dates and walnuts. Set both mixtures aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add orange zest. Add reserved flour and date mixtures. Stir in buttermilk just until blended.
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, heat orange juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes more before pouring syrup over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 377 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Orange Date Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.