VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; combine 1 cup with dates and walnuts. Set both mixtures aside.
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add orange peel. Add reserved flour and date mixtures. Stir in buttermilk just until blended.
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 300° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- For syrup, in a small saucepan, heat orange juice and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Cool 10 minutes more before pouring syrup over cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Orange Date Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p12