My family created this southwest inspired bread to go with a themed dinner. The savory focaccia is so versatile—it goes well with chili, barbecued meats, smoked turkey, chipotle glazed ham, and many more hearty entrees.—
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (8 wedges each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup warm orange juice (110° to 115°)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the orange juice, 3 tablespoons oil, orange zest and remaining water. Combine 2 cups bread flour, whole wheat flour, cumin, pepper and salt; add to the yeast mixture. Beat until smooth. Stir in 3/4 cup bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn out on a floured surface; knead in the rest of bread flour until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Shape each into a ball, then flatten each into a disk. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Grease two baking sheets; sprinkle with whole wheat flour. Shape each portion into a 10-in. circle. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of each dough. Brush with remaining oil.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 142 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.