Orange Creme Squares
This recipe may tempt you to skip supper and go straight to dessert! It was passed from my grandmother to my mom and is now a favorite of mine...as well as my husband's—he can't get enough of it! I often double the recipe, since it never lasts long.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cold whole milk
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, juice drained and reserved
- Combine crust ingredients and press into an 8-in. square pan. Chill. For filling, combine milk, ice cream and orange zest in a bowl. Add pudding mix, beating slowly with rotary beater or at lowest speed of a mixer until well blended. Pour over crust. Chill until set, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine cornstarch, sugar, orange juice, lemon juice and reserved mandarin orange juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Arrange oranges on top of filling. Spoon glaze over top. Chill until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 263 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 283mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Orange Creme Squares in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.