Orange Cream Meringue Cups Recipe
As a change from heavy desserts, I like to serve crisp meringue cups filled with a creamy orange custard. The shells and filling can be made in advance; fill just before serving.—Deirdre Cox, Kansas City, Missouri
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Orange segments, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugars, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
- 2. Drop meringue into six mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon.
- 3. Bake at 250° for 45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- 4. In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, orange juice, juice concentrate and peel. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer to a small bowl; cool for 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Just before serving, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture just until blended. Spoon mixture into meringue cups. Garnish with orange segments if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 320 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 157mg cholesterol, 47mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Orange Cream Meringue Cups
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC