For a light and refreshing ending to a meal, Peggy Detjen of Lakeville, Minnesota fills a cookie crumb crust with a combination of orange gelatin and ice cream. "You can use other flavors of gelatin," she shares. "I top slices with a dollop of whipped cream."
Recommended: Top 10 Trifle Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 package (6 ounces) orange or lime gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- In a large bowl, combine cookie crumbs and butter; set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. In another bowl, dissolve gelatin in water; cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Stir in ice cream until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Chill until firm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Orange Cream Dessert in Quick Cooking December 2000, p9