Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
I'm lucky enough to have my great-grandmother's cookbook. In it are numerous tried-and-true recipes that she and my grandmother served our family through the years. —Carrie Zuhlke, Fostoria, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, halved
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Combine the brown sugar and butter; spread evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cranberries and oranges; set aside.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and orange juice. Spread over cranberry mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Run a knife around edges of pan; immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 321 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Cranberry Upside-Down Cake in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001