Holiday cookies should be extra-special, so I created this beautiful, delicious shortbread with cranberries, orange and holiday spices to both serve and give as gifts. Everyone loves them!—Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Gold colored or coarse white sugar, optional
- In a small bowl, toss cranberries with liqueur, orange zest and vanilla. Let stand, covered, 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add cranberry mixture; beat just until combined. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-3/4-in. cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. If desired, sprinkle with colored or coarse sugar. Refrigerate 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 229 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.