Orange Cranberry Scones
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, cream butter. Stir in cranberries, confectioners; sugar and orange zest; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries. Stir in buttermilk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Divide in half. Pat each into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm with cranberry-orange butter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 342 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 30, 2014
To Norma Logan in review below. The first 4 ingredients are for the cranberry orange butter and you chill it to SPREAD ON THE SCONES after they are baked. Recipe should have said CRANBERRY ORANGE BUTTER instead of INGREDIENTS then put INGREDIENTS FOR SCONES BENEATH IT. Hope this helps. LynsIn
Jan 15, 2013
Fantastic, especially with the butter, I added extra orange zest to both
Dec 6, 2012
I do not understand this recipe after you put the 1st 4 ingd in the fridge where do they go in the next 7 ingd?????
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.