Orange-Cranberry Oat Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda and ginger; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the oats, coconut and orange zest.
- Place 3 cups of mixture in another bowl; stir in pecans. Set aside for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into a greased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine cranberry sauce and orange marmalade; spread over crust. Top with reserved oat mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 134 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
May 16, 2012
These yummy bars have already become a a Christmas cookie tradition at our house.Unless we eat them right away I've had trouble with them getting soggy. I tried mixing 2 tablespoons of corn starch into the filling and microwaving it until it's thick before I put it on the bottom layer. Problem solved. If you happen to have any left, they freeze very nicely.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.