Orange-Cranberry Coffee Cakes
Baking is my favorite thing to do. So during the holiday season, I can often be found in my kitchen preparing festive baked goods, such as these coffee cakes.— Loraine E. Meyer, Bend, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes (12 servings each)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, yeast, salt and 2-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Place cranberries in a blender; cover and process until chopped. Drain well; discard liquid from cranberries. In a small bowl, combine cranberries with remaining filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Punch down dough; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle; spread with filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal seams. Place in greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; shape ends to form crescent shapes.
- With kitchen scissors or a small sharp knife, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of each loaf, 1/2 in. deep and stopping 2 in. from the ends.
- Cover loaves and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice; drizzle over coffee cakes. Top with walnuts; press onto icing to secure.