Orange-Cranberry Coffee Cakes
Baking is my favorite thing to do. So during the holiday season, I can often be found in my kitchen preparing festive baked goods, such as these coffee cakes.— Loraine E. Meyer, Bend, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes (12 servings each)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, yeast, salt and 2-1/2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Place cranberries in a blender; cover and process until chopped. Drain well; discard liquid from cranberries. In a small bowl, combine cranberries with remaining filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Punch down dough; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle; spread with filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal seams. Place in greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans; shape ends to form crescent shapes.
- With kitchen scissors or a small sharp knife, cut a lengthwise slit down the center of each loaf, 1/2 in. deep and stopping 2 in. from the ends.
- Cover loaves and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and orange juice; drizzle over coffee cakes. Top with walnuts; press onto icing to secure.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 221 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange Crescent Coffee Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.