Orange Coconut Meringue Pie
I have won first place in two cream pie competitions with this recipe. It’s one of my absolute favorites.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water and orange juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in the coconut, butter and orange zest. Gently stir in lemon juice. Pour into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 385 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Coconut Pie in Country Extra March 2007