Orange Coconut Custard
These pretty parfaits are perfect for weekend guests as well as for the family during the week. I sometimes add banana slices for more tropical flavor.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Fresh orange sections
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add the milk; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Stir in extracts.
- In four individual dessert glasses or bowls, layer the custard, whipped cream, orange sections and coconut. Refrigerate until serving.