Orange-Coconut Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange extract, divided
- 1-3/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1-1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around sides of cake and remove from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Stir in orange zest and remaining orange extract. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Fold in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cup whipped topping.
- Split cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining whipped topping. Toast remaining coconut; sprinkle over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 5g fat (4g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 24, 2015
The only thing I changed was to omit the coconut fakes entirely. I HATE coconut flakes!!! I put coconut extract in instead and it was great!!
Apr 7, 2015
The first time I attempted to make this cake, I followed the recipe instructions for baking it but apparently at 375 degrees for 30 minutes the cake wasn't done enough and it fell out of the pan and collapsed when it started to cool. I tried again with another box of angel food cake mix, but this time I followed the instructions on the box. I baked it for 42 minutes at 350 degrees. It still fell out of the pan quickly after I inverted it but it didn't collapse into itself so much like the other one did. I had taken it out of the oven since it was getting dark brown and I didn't want to burn it. While I haven't used an oven thermometer to verify the oven temperature, my oven is only a little over a year old. I have made angel food cake from a mix several times and have never had this happen before. Since I was making this cake for a family Easter dinner, I ended up cutting the cake up and making a trifle with it. It still tastes good and I like the coconut, which was why I wanted to try this in the first place.
Mar 21, 2013
add the coconut and you will add a star or two (smile, I love coconut and that would be my reason to try this cake)
Mar 21, 2013
made this for years only for frosting, I beat a small tub of fat-free whipped topping with a small box of sugar-free pudding mix, and add the orange extract and then enough orange juice to get the consistency I want....and leave off the coconut!!!