This delightfully different dish was in the first cookbook I used as a new bride. My guests commented on the fruity flavor, which made me feel proud of my accomplishment!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Orange slices
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and orange juice. In another bowl, mix bread crumbs, paprika, salt and orange zest. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture. Place, skin side down, in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes. Turn chicken; bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Top with orange slices and sprinkle with parsley. Return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until juices run clear.
Nutrition Facts14 ounce-weight: 690 calories, 40g fat (15g saturated fat), 290mg cholesterol, 1300mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 56g protein.
Originally published as Orange-Coated Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook