- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a saucepan, heat milk and orange juice to 110°, add to yeast mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, orange peel, salt, egg and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 15x7-in. rectangle. Brush with water. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over dough to within 1 in. of edge.
- Tightly roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; seal ends. Place seam side down into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bread. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forOrange Cinnamon Bread
"Best recipie ever, It turns out great every time. I make double the icing and spread it on each slice. Best tasting bread you will ever taste!"
"I have been making this recipe for years since it was first published in TOH magazine.My family just loves it. I use fresh oranges from our orange tree. Do try this!"
"Try some of this excellent bread in the Orange-Cinnamon French Toast recipe (TOH). SOOOO good!"