The classic combination of flavors in this recipe reminds me of the orange and chocolate candy my grandmother made for the holidays. We like to snack on this bread throughout the day.
Recommended: 31 Easy Quick Bread Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel (about 1 medium orange)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- Boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Place orange peel in a small bowl. Pour juice in a measuring cup; add enough boiling water to measure 1 cup. Pour over orange peel; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, butter, vanilla and reserved orange mixture. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 servings).
Originally published as Orange Chocolate Chip Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p28
Reviews forOrange Chocolate Chip Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2014
"So easy to make! I had some oranges on the verge of being thrown away so I used their juice instead of store bought orange juice! YUMMMY!!!"
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2013
"good good for mi"