This recipe came from one of the best cooks in my ladies' Bible class at church. The orange and chocolate combination is delicious. One of my hobbies is collecting recipes, especially those for desserts, which suits my chocolate-loving husband just fine!
Recommended: Our Best-Ever Chocolate Cakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) orange cake mix
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice or water
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cake mix, eggs, juice or water, pudding mix and extract(if desired) until well blended and smooth. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts into the bottom of a greased and floured fluted tube pan. Pour two-thirds of batter into pan. Combine chocolate syrup with remaining batter; pour into pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto wire rack. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Orange Chocolate Cake in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p5