- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- Hot cooked rice
- Layer sweet potatoes in a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup flour and seasonings; add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in butter for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange chicken over sweet potatoes.
- Place remaining flour in a small bowl. Stir in the soup, pineapple juice, brown sugar and orange zest until blended. Add mushrooms; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender and potatoes are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forOrange Chicken with Sweet Potatoes
"Despite the previous reviews, the list of ingredients seemed like it would taste good. Boy was I wrong! It was terrible. The cream sauce just doesn't have any flavor and there isn't enough to cover the chicken. We didn't even save the leftovers. : ("
"This recipe was awful, my husband, who the 6 kids call the garbage can since he will eat anything, took a few bites and looked at me and said, this is awful."
"My husband and I are pretty adventurous eaters, but this one got thrown out. The blend of the flavors did not work for either one of us."
"I tried this dish becuse I couldn't imagine what it would taste like - well, it is delicious ! So fresh tasting and the chicken was so moist and tender. It does require more prep than most slow cooker recipes, with the flouring and browning of the chicken and the peeling of the potatoes, but my husband's obvious delight while he was eating made it more than worth the extra prep time. Serving it over rice really worked well. The textures and flavors blend well. Will have a request for this again soon, I'm sure!"