Instead of topping ice cream with a store-bought sauce, try this simple homemade version. The subtle orange flavor pairs well with any type of ice cream. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 40 Condiments You Can Make at Home
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- Butter pecan ice cream
- In a large saucepan, cook and stir brown sugar and cream over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil; cook for 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Stir in milk and orange extract. Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, warm over low heat. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 1-1/3 cups.
Originally published as Orange Caramel Ice Cream Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p21