This sweet version of bubble bread is dotted with raisins and topped with an orange glaze. My great-aunt shared the recipe with me. —Cyndie Wowchuk, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Recommended: 23 Recipes Made in a Bundt Pan
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ORANGE SYRUP:
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
- 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted, divided
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm milk; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 3-1/2 cups flour, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in eggs. Stir in butter until crumbly. Stir in eggs. Stir in yeast mixture and enough remaining flour until mixture forms a firm ball (mixture will be slightly sticky). Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, combine orange juice, marmalade, sugar, butter and orange peel in a saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Place 1/2 cup syrup and 1/2 cup coconut on the bottom of a greased 10-in. tube pan.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 32 pieces; roll each into a 1-in. ball. Dip each into remaining orange syrup. Place 16 balls in prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of the raisins and remaining coconut. Top with remaining balls, raisins and coconut. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. cool for 5 minutes before inverting bread onto a serving plate. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Orange Bubble Bread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p48