Orange Breakfast Crunch Topping
I always find oatmeal to be a little plain for my tastes, but this unique topping really adds some character. I've been interested in cooking as long as I can remember...I even made my own wedding cake some 67 years ago!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, combine the wheat germ, orange zest and cinnamon; set aside. In a small saucepan, heat brown sugar and butter until butter is melted. Pour over wheat germ mixture; stir to coat.
- Bake at 275° for 20-30 minutes or until browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Serve with oatmeal, fruit or waffles.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 139 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Orange Breakfast Crunch Topping in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook