This recipe is a little time-consuming but, for special occasions, it's well worth the effort. I've put these rolls in gift baskets with a jar of the orange glaze.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a saucepan, heat milk, shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, combine yeast with milk mixture, eggs, juice, zest and 3 cups flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down; let rest 15 minutes. Roll dough into a 16x10-in. rectangle. Cut into sixteen 1-in. strips. Tie strips into knots; place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 400° for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Combine all glaze ingredients; spread over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 266 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.