Orange Bow Knots
Baking is my favorite pastime, and I normally have my freezer well-stocked with breads, muffins and cookies. This recipe for rolls with a refreshing orange flavor has been in the family as long as I can remember. We especially enjoy them for breakfast and brunch.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm whole milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, shortening, sugar, orange juice and zest, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into 12 balls. Roll each into a 10-in. rope. Tie into a knot and tuck ends under.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine icing ingredients; drizzle over rolls.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 182 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.