Orange Blueberry Muffins
I got this recipe years ago, and it is still a family favorite. Blueberries are grown right here in the Midwest, and they have a delicious flavor. As an added bonus, not only are these muffins tasty, they're nutritious, too!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked oatmeal
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine the oatmeal and orange juice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add oatmeal mixture, oil and eggs. Stir just until ingredients are moistened. Carefully fold in berries and orange zest.
- Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Combine walnuts, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Orange Blueberry Muffins in Country Extra May 1991
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.