Orange Blossom Cake
What could better represent our area than a recipe calling for oranges fresh off the tree? Since we planted and maintained a grove of 250 orange trees for almost 20 years, this recipe became a family favorite. Our grown children have said this cake brings back wonderful childhood memories.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs until blended. Beat in applesauce and orange zest. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Fold in dates and nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients; bring to a boil. Pour over cake. Cool completely in pan.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 425 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 298mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Orange Blossom Cake in Country April/May 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.